Saturday, July 30, 2011

Bourbon Peaches Foster

Every now and then my sister likes to present me with a secret ingredient. This week's entry was peaches. For my first foray into Battle: Peaches, I decided to look for inspiration from back home. One of the many culinary delights originating from New Orleans is the rumtastic Bananas Foster.  The same flavors go great with peaches, so it seemed like an easy choice. Since I love bourbon (the liquor and the street) far more than rum I decided to make a switch.

Peaches Foster
Epicurious Recipe
Servings: 2
Time: 10 minutes

1 large peach
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp brown sugar, packed
2 tbsp bourbon
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Pinch of salt
Ice Cream

  1. Place your peach in boiling water for about 15 seconds. Immediately submerge it into ice water until it's cold to stop the cooking. This will allow the skin to slide right off.
  2. Peel and cut into 1/2 inch slices. Discard the pit.
  3. Melt the butter over medium-low heat in a sauce pan. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until smooth. 
  4. Add the peaches and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Be sure to flip the peaches.
  5. Serve immediately with a scoop of ice cream.


It smells amazing too.
I actually said "Oh, God" to a couple of confused puppies when I tasted just the peaches. It got even better once I topped it with Ben & Jerry's Vanilla Heath Bar Crunch. The only changes I made to the original recipe were swapping in the bourbon (and increasing its amount) and upping the cinnamon. The cinnamon still seemed a little overpowered, so I'd probably go even crazier with it next time. Now I need to make it back to Brennan's and try the original Bananas Foster.




1 comment: