Sunday, December 18, 2011

Night of the Crepes: Blueberry-Lemon

Plating!
Since this whole adventure began with my wish for peach crepes, I wasn't going to stop without getting my fill of dessert. With peaches out of the equation, I thought quickly on my feet and decided to go with the brunchtastic combo of blueberries and lemons to soothe my sweet tooth and make sure we all went from pleasantly full to immobile and partially catatonic.

Blueberry-Lemon Crepes
Servings: 4 crepes
Time: 30 minutes (plus crepe batter prep)

1 1/2 pints blueberries, plus extra for garnish
1/2-3/4 cup sugar 
1-2 tbsp honey
Juice of 1 lemon
Zest of 1 lemon
Whipped cream
Crepes (recipe here



Tired of boring silver pots? Try cooking blueberries in them for a fresh new look (also works wonders on carpet!)

  1. Heat the blueberries and sugar together in a medium sauce pan until the juices start to come out. 
  2. Add the honey, lemon juice and about half of the lemon zest to the mixture.
  3. Simmer until the blueberry mixture thickens significantly.
  4. Fill the crepes with the compote. Then top with whipped cream, fresh blueberries and lemon zest and serve.
The blueberry compote was a stellar fruit filling for my dessert crepes, but the true star was the lemon zest. The lemon was only faintly present in the jam portion, but the lemon zest garnish helped lend a welcome sour note to prevent this dish from being too one-dimensional. If you can't hold out until dessert time, these crepes would also make a delightful and rich breakfast or brunch. 
80s and zombies, what more could you want?
Esteemed food critic and expert neighbor Alexis exclaimed "5 stars. A clear frontrunner for crepe of the year. A must taste!" about Night of the Crepes, while film critics praised Night of the Creeps by extolling, "I remember loving it when I was twelve, meaning only that twelve-year olds are idiots". Clearly, Night of the Crepes and my ability to stretch out a joke win!

No comments:

Post a Comment