Sunday, October 7, 2012

Mom's Diner: Elvis Presley's Fried Peanut Butter & Banana Sandwich


Were you really expecting a pretty picture with a name like that?
Once my sister and I both left the South, my parents were forced to find new ways to fill their time (aside from worrying about us in scary California). That special replacement something turned out to be the King himself- Elvis Presley. My mom took a break from her busy Elvis Look-Alike contest schedule to teach me about some of the highlights of his "diet". Initially, I resisted, but since the recipe came from the chef who makes me want to know what love is (the ever so dreamy Nigella Lawson), I was willing to give it a shot.

Elvis Presley's Fried Peanut Butter & Banana Sandwich
Servings: 1 or how ever many people you can convince to share a fried sandwich
Time: 10 minutes

2 slices white bread
2 tbsp butter
1 small ripe banana, mashed
2 tbsp creamy peanut butter

The complicated ingredients list. Not pictured: butter.
What sandwiches were missing

  1. Lightly toast two pieces of white bread.
  2. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
  3. Spread the mashed bananas and peanut butter on your toasted bread and close the two pieces together to form a sandwich (are you still with me?). In case you're confused, the gooey stuff goes on the inside.
  4. Fry the sandwich in the melted butter for about 2 minutes per side.
  5. Slice in a diagonal and enjoy.
Enjoy with a nice root beer float. Just try not to be too creeped out by the glances from the Big Boy.
Right off the bat, I was a little concerned that the sandwich wasn't actually deep fried. My lofty expectations of an Elvis Presley creation were smashed. Then, I bit into the sandwich and was pleasantly surprised at how delectable it was. Peanut butter and banana is always a winning combination, but surrounding it with the crunch of our fried toast and that hint of butter really makes you just want to retire to sweat pants (or a nice sparkly jump suit) and call it a night. Along with our Abita Root Beer float, this sandwich gave me heart palpitations which I can only attribute to love, proving that anytime you can take culinary advice from a man who died on the toilet, you just have to.
My dad takes an artful picture of me eating the sandwich with my iPhone. Parents with technology are just so adorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment