Sunday, February 2, 2014

Super Bowl Sunday: Denver and the Double Cheddar Beer Bread

For this year's super bowl, I didn't want to merely make a dish to help everyone be properly gluttonous. I wanted to create two distinct offerings celebrating the two very different teams playing. After much careful thought (and consulting with my oh so wise sister), I determined that the two defining traits of Seattle and Denver were coffee and beer, respectively.

This allowed me to make both sweet and savory contributions to the unbelievably delicious spread at Danielle's fancy grown up house. For Seattle, I would make White Mocha Caramel Frappuccino cupcakes, and for Denver, I'd rely on Coors, the only thing more synonymous with the Mile High City than snow, to make a super savory and hearty Cheddar Beer Bread.

Double Cheddar Beer Bread
Adapted from Food.com
Servings: 1 Loaf
Time: 70 minutes
Cheddar: It's Grate!

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 12 oz can beer (I used Coors Original in honor of Denver)
2 cups assorted Cheddar (I used Irish and Aged English), grated
1/4 cup melted butter




  1. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
  2. Whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and beer together in a large bowl.
  3. Stir in you cheeses.
  4. Pour in to a greased (use a little of the melted butter) 9"x5" loaf pan.
  5. Top with additional cheese and the melted butter.
  6. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until nicely golden brown. 

And then your apartment will smell like cheddar and beer, and you will know what true happiness is.
I don't even know how to describe how amazing this bread was. Seriously, stop what you are doing and go make it now. The hardest part was grating the cheese (and apparently you can buy it pre-grated! Oh, what a world we live in!). With 5 mere minutes of prep, you can have amazing bread baking in your oven and delighting your olfactory senses.
By the time I realized I needed a pic of the inside of the bread, this was all that was left.
The bread tastes exactly like its name implies. A heavy hitting of cheddar compliments a fantastic beer backdrop (for reals, this is the best use of Coors since me using it to learn how to talk to girls in college) in one phenomenal bread experience. Just make sure you measure the flour properly (fluff it with the spoon before putting it into a measuring cup without compacting) or sift it so that you end up with the right bready consistency (or at least so the reviews led me to believe, but why wouldn't you be properly measuring flour already?). The only way that this could possibly be made better is by combining it with the filling from Kevin's amazing Stuffed Mushrooms (which I did so many times that I later felt shame). This truly was the best performance by anything relating to Denver in the Super Bowl.
I'm sorry to have let my dad down by not using his beloved silver bullets, but how was I supposed to pass up the fancy commemorative bottles?
Stay tuned for the winning Seattle Seahawks inspired dessert- White Mocha Caramel Frappuccino Cupcakes.

1 comment:

  1. Beer bread sounds interesting. Thank you for sharing the recipe. One of the most essential things you should know is how to change you wifi password and router login settings, that's why you will need 192.168.1.1

    ReplyDelete